Monday 3 August 2009

Like a blind man who's just been given his sight back.

It's nearing the end of my internship here at the Getty, and there's so many things I've learned about myself and about the art world.

Today, I'd like to share one insight, and that is what to do with all of the contacts I've acquired.

I use the analogy of a blind man (me) who's just been given his sight, after never experiencing it before. Light feels like soemthing so foreign and so awesome that it alsmost becomes too much to bear and he would rather crawl back into the darkness of fear and insecurity. On a lesser degree, I've been given a lot of potentially valuable connections, but I'm not sure what to do with them. Sure, I've come to discover that we have a lot of mutual friends, but then comes the hard and arduous task of figuring out which contacts are more valuable than others. Becoming familiar with their personalities because you only really have one shot at making a good impression. Avoid writing empty emails, with empty promises filled with phrases like "Hey! We should have coffee some time!"

Anyway, I'm a little lost with all of these opportunities. Then there's the job search, then there's my second-priority personal life.

How to juggle all this....

No comments:

Post a Comment